Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bookstores of Indianapolis

I'm spoiled: I grew up in a book city chock-a-block with good bookstores. I've bored too many friends and students with stories of working at The Strand in New York when I was in college, and even today enjoy access to Von's in West Lafayette. If you ever have reason to be in West Lafayette, Von's is worth an afternoon. That said, I rarely go to Indy to find books, yet I enjoy visiting independent bookstores on conference trips. In Chicago, I remember being awed by my trips to landmarks like The Prairie Avenue Bookstore, which is now sadly closed. Powells is open in Chicago. In Portland, Oregon, Powell's is the original and worth the airfare by itself. So many bookstores, so little time.

So it was with some consternation that my search for independent + bookstore + Indianapolis yielded  less than exciting results. Indy A-List, a crowd-sourced best of site, lists a number of chains, including half-priced books. But still. Disappointing.

Indy Reads Books       911 Massachusetts Avenue       317-384-1496
New and used books, they rely on volunteer staff and donated books. Great idea, but it shows the city's commitment to literacy. Really.

Book Mamas       9 S. Johnson Avenue       317-375-3715
Check the site (and call ahead) to be sure they're open when you want to go.

Books Unlimited (no website)      2629 Shelby St       317-634-0949

Big Hat Books (no website)       6510 Cornell Ave       317-202-0203

McVan's Fine Books (no website)      912 Broad Ripple Ave       317-796-0444
New and used. Mostly video games.

B&L Book World (no website)       7775 E. Washington St       317-359-0099


No comments:

Post a Comment